UPDATE #2: further information on bus crash on eastbound Hwy 84 near Pendleton
* The confirmed number of fatalities has risen from five (5) to nine (9) victims
* St. Anthony Hospital in Pendleton confirmed eighteen (18) patients were brought in with a range of injuries. Some of those patients were transported by air to secondary hospital locations due to the severity of their injuries.
* The bus driver survived the crash but investigators have not be able to speak to this person because of nature of injuries and medical care.
* The name of the charter bus company is not expected to be released today. The bus reportedly was on a return trip from Las Vegas, Nevada to Vancouver, British Columbia.
* Names and other information of the bus occupants will not be released today. Deceased victims' names will only be released after confirmation of next of kin notifications and given the fact they are believed to be out-of-country residents, this could take an unknown length of time.
* Investigators are still on scene conducting the initial at-scene investigation. The cause of the crash is not known.
UPDATE: on-scene responders confirm
* Five (5) fatalities on Highway 84 east of Pendleton
* Approximately twenty (20) people have been transported to an area hospital with additional injured persons being prepared for transport
* Three (3) fixed-wing medical aircraft are standing by at a Pendleton-area airport to transported any injured to out-of-area hospitals
* Personnel trained for rope rescues are on scene helping retrieve people from the crash scene
* Emergency responders from multiple agencies in the Umatilla and Union county areas are on scene
* The charter bus appears to be carrying an estimated forty (40) people. No information regarding the charter bus company or where they were traveling is being released at this time. Many details are still being confirmed.
* Westbound lanes closed at La Grande area. ODOT will be coordinating information release on vehicle travel and updates can be viewed at tripcheck.com
PENDLETON, Ore. (KMTR) -- Oregon State Police troopers and local emergency responders are on scene of a Sunday morning bus crash in which at least one person is confirmed deceased along the westbound lanes of Interstate 84 east of Pendleton. Westbound lanes are closed for an unknown period at milepost 228. The following brief details are being released at this time and updates will be provided as appropriate during the day via news releases.
Preliminary information indicates on December 30 prior to 10:30 AM, a passenger bus carrying an unconfirmed number of people lost control on the snow/ice covered westbound lanes of Interstate 84 near milepost 227. The bus crashed through a guardrail and went down an embankment an approximately 200 feet before coming to a rest.
Initial information indicates at least one (1) person is confirmed deceased. At this time there is no confirmation of the number of people on the bus, total injuries/fatalities or ownership of the bus.
Multiple area emergency responding agencies are on scene and will be through the day. Information will continue to be released via news releases when confirmed and approved by scene incident command.
This is the second fatal crash in northeast Oregon this morning. Area roads are slick because of snow and ice. OSP and ODOT urge all drivers to slow down appropriately for the road conditions where they are traveling. Up-to-date road and weather conditions are available on ODOT's website tripcheck.com