EUGENE, Ore. (KMTR) -- The University of Oregon Police Department (UOPD) issued a Campus Crime Alert Saturday, after a male student was reportedly approached by three men Friday evening near campus. According to the report, the student was locking up his bike near 15th Alley and Alder Street when the suspects approached him. One man knocked the student down and another punched him repeatedly in the face while someone else took the bike. Read the full report below:
A male UO student has reported to the University of Oregon Police Department that on November 2 at about 7:00 PM at 15th Avenue Alley and Alder Street, he was approached by three men as he locked up his bike. He said one of the men pushed him to the ground while another punched him several times in the face. One of the men took his bike and the three men fled in an unknown direction.
The victim described the man who punched him as Asian, short with a medium build. The victim only described the other men as being black. No dress or other identifying information was provided.
Anyone with information about this or similar incidents should call Eugene Police at 541 682-5111 or UOPD at 541 346-2919. Updates regarding this incident, when and if available, will be posted on the UOPD website at police.uoregon.edu.
CAMPUS SAFETY TIPS FROM UOPD
- No action or inaction by a crime survivor makes that person responsible for his or her victimization. Perpetrators are responsible for crimes and their effects. The following suggestions may help reduce the possibility of experiencing a crime, or may improve opportunities to receive prompt assistance.
- It is a crime to intentionally touch someone against his or her will, regardless of the situation.
- Encourage friends to travel in pairs or with trusted companions, especially at night or in remote areas.
- Use UO Safe Ride (541 346-RIDE ext. 2), call a taxicab, or contact UOPD for an on-campus escort (541 346-2919).
- If you feel you or others are in danger, call 911.
- To report suspicious, illegal or unusual activity on campus, call UOPD at 541 346-2919. For emergencies or if you see a crime being committed, call 911.
RESOURCES AVAILABLE FOR SURVIVORS OF CRIME
- For students, a range of support services are available through the Office of the Dean of Students, 541 346-3216; email@example.com.
- For students, personal counseling and other support services are available through the University Counseling and Testing Center, 541 346-3227 (available 24 hours); counseling.uoregon.edu/dnn.
- For students, medical and sexual assault examination services are available at University Health Center, 541 346-2770; healthcenter.uoregon.edu.
- For employees, the Office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity, 541 346-3123, and Office of Human Resources, 541 -346-3159, can assist in connecting to resources.
- Other community resources available are Sexual Assault Support Services (SASS), 541 343-7277 (24-hour crisis line) or 541 484-9791, Womenspace, 541 485-8232 or 541 485-6513 (24-hour crisis line) and White Bird Clinic Counseling, 541 342-8255 or 541 687-4000 (24-hour crisis line).