Eugene (KMTR) – A report of a sexual assault near the University of Oregon campus has prompted a warning from the Eugene Police Department and the university’s Department of Public Safety.
Around Sunday, November 13, a U. of O. student reported to a university housing staff member that she had been sexually assaulted. The student reported being attacked after leaving a party and walking in the area of West 18th Avenue and Kincaid Street, near the Pioneer Cemetery. The attacker followed, and then grabbed and sexually assaulted the student, according to the report.
The suspect was described as a white male with a medium build, about 6 feet tall, with light brown hair.
Anyone who has information about this or any similar incident should call the U. of O. Department of Public Safety at (541) 346-2919.
The Eugene Police Department offers these tips on personal safety:
- You should not walk alone at night; always walk in pairs with a trusted companion.
- Use the Assault Prevention Shuttle (541-346-RIDE ext. 2), call a cab or contact the UO Department of Public Safety (541-346-2919) for an escort.
- Always carry a fully charged cell phone.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Use the UO’s lighted pathways and other well-lit areas. Avoid alleys and dark doorways.
- Know where the UO’s emergency call boxes are located across campus.
- Let others know where you are, where you are going, and when you will be home.
- Don't let strangers into your “space.” Keep plenty of distance between yourself and people you don't wish to approach you.
- Don't stop to talk with strangers asking for directions or other types of help, as this can be a ploy to get close for an attack.
- If you feel you are in danger or being followed, call the Department of Public Safety at 541-346-6666 if on campus or 9-1-1 when off campus.
Resources available for survivors of crime:
- For a student, support services are available through the University Counseling and Testing Center, 541-346-3227.
- For an employee, the Office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity, 541-346-3123, and Office of Human Resources, 541-346-3159, can assist in connecting to resources.
- Other community resources available are Sexual Assault Support Services (SASS), 541-484-9791, and Womenspace, 541-485-8232.