(KMTR) -- The quick thinking of a Springfield
middle schooler may have saved the life of one of her classmates.
Last week in the cafeteria of Thurston Middle School, 7th grader Megan Spangler sprang into action when she realized one of her friends was choking and couldn't breathe.
Megan says she was standing by the cafeteria's microwave when her friend walked up to her. She was red in the face and frantically pointing to her throat. Megan asked the girl if she was choking and when she nodded her head to say yes, Megan didn't think - she just acted. She grabbed the girl from behind and performed the Heimlich maneuver.
"We were just kind of like, in shock,” says Megan. “She said 'thank you' and now it's kinda just our thing, like I'm her savior."
Local fire officials were very proud to hear how Megan reacted in the situation.
"Everybody should learn this. CPR especially, Heimlich, first aid - all of those life saving skills,” says Matt Brooks, an EMT firefighter with McKenzie Fire & Rescue. “They're easy to learn, they're easy to remember and when someone like Megan responds confidently and correctly, we have a positive outcome."
The public information team for McKenzie Fire and Rescue taught Megan about the Heimlich maneuver when she was in elementary school. Brooks says others who are interested in learning basic first aid skills are encouraged to call McKenzie Fire & Rescue to request a class. You can also visit their website McKenzieFire.com for more information.