Springfield (KMTR) – A fire that apparently started after closing time gutted Dawg Automotive near Pioneer Parkway Monday night. The shop’s employees had locked up and gone home by the time the fire was discovered around
When firefighters arrived, they reported seeing flames through the building’s windows. Inside, two cars were charred.
Eugene District Fire Chief Don Vaught said the fire crews approached carefully because of the dangerous substances in the burning cars. “Automotive fluids, possible gasoline, oils, hydraulic fluids that are flammable or combustible. So that's always a potential risk to fire crews. So we tried to make as a quick a knock-down of the fire as we possibly could.”
Parts of Pioneer Parkway and Main Street were shut down for about an hour while firefighters worked.Investigators think the fire started in the center of the building.