VENETA, Ore. (KMTR) -- If you're thinking of heading to Fern Ridge Reservoir while the hot weather lasts, Oregon health officials say you should be cautious on the water.
Health officials announced Friday, September 21st, 2012, that they’ve measured high levels of blue-green algae in the reservoir.
The algae is noticeable at both the Orchard Point Marine and Richardson Park areas around the reservoir.
Blue-green algae is toxic, especially for kids and pets. While the algae bloom lasts, you should not swim in the water or get any water in your mouth.
You can still catch and eat fish where algae blooms are though, just make sure to take off the skin, fat and organs and cook the fish well.
Health officials will wait until the bloom dies down to then retest and determine toxicity levels. Blooms typically last a few weeks, but there is no exact science on their length.
Warning signs are posted around the water’s edge to notify people about the bloom.