DORENA LAKE, Ore. (KMTR) - Oregon Health Authority is warning campers and nearby residents and businesses of toxic blue-green algae found in Dorena Reservoir.
The high level of algae was detected in the North end of the lake, which many say is not easily accessible to people.
State officials told NewsSource 16 it was a small bloom that they found, but even so, they have to put a warning on the whole lake. They recommend people not drink the water or come in contact with it, especially kids and pets.
When eating fish out of the lake, representatives suggest removing the skin, fat and organs since that tissue is where toxins collect most.
Campers at a nearby location, Baker Bay County Park, were notified Wednesday of the concern. Signs were posted on the restrooms and concession stands.
"It happens every year," said camper and Cottage Grove resident Joshua Gemmet. "I live a short distance from here, I've been coming here every year for the last 20 years and it happens every year."
Many people at the campground told NewsSource 16 they will continue to enjoy their trips regardless of the algae. People were out jetskiing, boating and tubing in the morning.
"I mean it is not a big deal," shrugged Gemmet. "It doesn't stop me from going in the water and I don't ever really drink lake water."
The Oregon Health Authority said it will notify the public when the water is safe again.
For a complete list of algae detection statewide, click here: http://public.health.oregon.gov/HEALTHYENVIRONMENTS/RECREATION/HARMFULALGAEBLOOMS/Pages/Blue-GreenAlgaeAdvisories.aspx