EUGENE (KMTR) – Lane County voters recently said no to the Eugene city income tax to help struggling schools. But there's a new way to give for those who'd still like to financially support the district.
Ballot measure 20-182 failed on Election Day. But the Eugene Education Fund says there are still options to help the district. People can give tax free donations to help save teachers and support students.
We stopped by Bertha Holt Elementary on Tuesday. The school was built eight years ago by bond money and voters just approved a similar bond measure for 4J to upgrade its schools. But that money cannot go to teachers, classrooms or students. That's why the EEF is encouraging people to give tax-deductible donations. It says students deserve a good future and quality education.
Bertha Holt Principal Kevin Boling says right now the school's in a situation where it cannot do what it knows how to do. “Which is enrich the experience for kids with arts and music, intervene really well when kids are struggling to learn, and expand opportunities because we're right now staffed at less than the basics."
In order for your donation to be used for the 2011/2012 school year you need to give no later than June 30th. You can give to EEF for 4J staffing, you can pick which school gets your money, or do a combination of both.
If you choose to give, you can write a check, donate online, or even sign up for monthly automated direct deposits. 95% of your gift will go to staffing, the remaining 5% to funding grants that benefits schools.