UO president: 'They will not be playing basketball at Oregon again'

UO president: 'They will not be playing basketball at Oregon again'

EUGENE, Ore. - The University of Oregon suspended the players named in a police investigation of an alleged rape within 24 hours of receiving a copy of the police report, top university officials said Friday.

"As a father, I'm appalled. As president, I'm angry and disappointed," University of Oregon president Michael Gottfredson. "They will not be playing basketball at Oregon again."

A copy of the police investigation into the March 9 incident became available to the media and widely reported Monday.

Questions emerged this week regarding what did University officials know and when, as well as what the University is required under federal law to do, in such a situation.

Gottfredson said the university began an immediate investigation after learning of the sexual assault and complied fully with police investigation.

He said police asked for UO to take no action during the investigation. During the NCAA tournament, the University did not know which players were involved in the alleged sexual assault, he said.

Within 24 hours of seeing the police report, the university took corrective action to suspend players, Gottfreson said.
 

Earlier

EUGENE, Ore. - Top University of Oregon officials plan a press conference at 11 a.m. on the status of students investigated for sexual assault, as well as the university’s response to date and next steps.

The alleged March 9 incident came to wide public knowledge on Monday with the release of a police report to the media.

Scheduled to appear at the press conference are University of Oregon President Michael Gottfredson; Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Rob Mullens; and Vice President for Student Affairs Robin Holmes.

The timeline so far

According to the University, the woman’s father called the University of Oregon Police Department on March 9, the same day as the sexual contact with the 3 men named in the report.

The woman later called Euenge Police on March 13. She told them UOPD had tried to call her twice; she had not returned their calls.

On March 14, a violent crimes detective was assigned to the case and interviewed the woman.

The same day, the University contacted the detective assigned to the case, according to police. The detective did not release names to the University.

A police spokesperson said the department does not know precisely when the detective asked the university to hold off on its investigation but said it was likely during that conversation.

On April 8, the detective turned over the completed investigation to the district attorney.

On April 14, the DA elected not to file charges and the report was released to the university.

On Monday, May 5, the university issued a brief press release saying the three players named in the report "are not currently participating in any team activities.”

A copy of the police report was obtained by multiple media outlets and reported the same day.