Toxic algae warning for Dexter Reservoir lifted

Toxic algae warning for Dexter Reservoir lifted
A warning sign posted at a state recreation area at Dexter Reservoir in July 2013

EUGENE, Ore. - State health officials lifted a toxic algae warning for Dexter Reservoir Thursday that has been in place since July 3.

A dog died from probable toxic algae exposure that same week after playing in the river downstream from the reservoir.

The advisory was prompted by high levels of blue-green algae found at the lake's shoreline.

Water monitoring has confirmed reduced levels of blue-green algae and their toxins. These reduced levels are not likely to be harmful to humans and animals.

Oregon health officials advise people who recreate in Oregon water bodies to always be alert to signs of algae blooms.

People and their pets should avoid contact if the water is foamy, scummy, thick like paint, pea-green, blue-green or brownish red in color, or if a thick mat of algae is visible in the water.

For local lake information regarding harmful algae blooms, contact the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers at 541-942-5631. For drinking water information, contact your local drinking water treatment facility.

For health information, contact the Harmful Algae Bloom Surveillance (HABS) program at 971-673-0400. Also contact the Oregon Public Health toll-free information line at 1-877-290-6767.

The Oregon Harmful Algae Bloom Surveillance program is funded through September 2013 by a grant from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.