EUGENE, Ore. - The Stellar Apartments welcomes residents Tuesday, the latest project from St. Vincent de Paul.
The complex will house 54 families, seniors and veterans who earn 50 percent below the median local income.
So far, 19 leases have been signed, and 7 families move in this week.
The units may be for people with limited income, but they come with modern amenities.
"Not only are these people getting a nice place to live, but they are also units that are really really energy efficient," said Terry McDonald with St. Vincent de Paul.
The apartments were built to meet Earth Advantage Certification.
The energy efficent homes will also help keep utility bills low.
St. Vincent is still taking applications. You can learn more about how to apply online.
Info about the apartments from St. Vincent de Paul
Stellar Apartments will be a 54 unit family housing development located just north of the Westmoreland School site at 17th Avenue and City View Street in Eugene. This project will include a mixture of one, two, and three bedroom townhome style apartments and flats.
Stellar Apartments will also provide appropriate and enriching services for all our residents. These services include: asset-building programs; services to help families achieve financial and life goals; services to build residential community; and services for youth and children. Additional support services will be provided for the VetLIFT and National Guard populations through collaboration with other organizations. These additional services will be unique to these populations and will include assessment, access to veterans’ services, and peer support groups.
On September 8, 2010, Eugene City Council unanimously approved funding for Stellar Apartments, which includes the land, HOME funds, and system development charge waivers. On August 19, 2011, SVDP was awarded funds from Oregon and Housing and Community Services for the remainder of funding to complete the project. This includes LIHTC (Low Income Housing Tax Credits), GHAP (General Housing Account Program), and OAHTC (Oregon Affordable Housing Tax Credits). Completion is likely in Summer 2013.
Highlights of Stellar Apartments:
- Total project costs of approximately $10 million
- 54 units of family housing targeting very low income households at or below 50% AMI
- 10 units targeted for National Guard families (currently serving or completed deployment)
- 4 units set aside for family clients of VetLIFT, serving homeless veterans with families
- Actual rents will be affordable to households at 45% AMI
- 6 one-bedroom units are $430
- 32 two-bedroom units are $515
- 15 three bedroom units are $585
- 1 three bedroom unit is reserved for the onsite manager and is not income restricted
- Complies with Earth Advantage Certification, including:
- Energy Star rated appliances, lighting and windows
- Better than code insulation
- Low VOC paints, finishes, sealants and adhesives
- Fresh-air ventilation system designed to promote healthier indoor air
- Low-flow water fixtures
- Energy efficient heat pump water heaters
- Large community garden to be shared by residents and Lane ESD school programs next door