Mom in hospital, teen OK after fire

Mom in hospital, teen OK after fire

SPRINGFIELD, Ore. - Neighbors kept a woman from running back into a burning house for her teenage son Thursday.

Firefighters rescued the teen, who suffered carbon monoxide poisoning. The 15-year-old was released from the hospital later Thursday night, a family member said.

The mother suffered burns, said her daughter, Megan McKinney. McKinney said her mother is stable and talking at the hospital but badly burned.

The fire Thursday afternoon in the duplex on Kelly Boulevard damaged one of the units but left the other uninhabitable for the time being.

The owner of the building was working to secure the structure to keep people out until repairs can be made.