CLARKSTON, Wash. -- Mica Craig was shopping in the outdoor garden department of a Wal-Mart when he saw what he thought was a stick lying in the aisle.
He reached down to pick it up and discovered his mistake when the stick -- which was actually a rattlesnake -- latched onto his hand.
The 47-year-old man said he started screaming and managed to shake the snake loose before stomping it to death.
The Lewiston Tribune reported a bystander drove Craig to a local emergency room. Craig says he was treated with six bags of anti-venom and has been told that his hand may be permanently disfigured. He was bitten on Saturday and said doctors expect him to remain hospitalized until Tuesday.