EUGENE, Ore. - Leonard Hutson is refreshing his skills after his 4-year-old granddaughter nearly drowned.
"It was a horrible feeling," Hutson said. "I didn't know what to do.
"To watch someone, to watch my granddaughter that I held - I don't know, it was a strange feeling.
"I would advise them to take a first aid class," said Leonard Hutson. "It can happen to you. I was one of those 'it could never happen to me'."
As a parent, there's a lot to think about when it comes to caring for your child: the diapers, the feedings, capturing those memorable moments.
Safety is a top concern, too.
Are you or the person watching your baby or toddler prepared?
The American Red Cross offers classes to make sure your family is ready to take action in an emergency.
They're life saving skills that no parent wants to perform on their children, but it could be a matter of life and death.
Red Cross said choking is one of the main safety concerns for children and infants. Many of the choking hazards are found in your home, like batteries, coins and tops on containers.
Kids put everything in their mouth," said Red Cross instructor Michael Carson. "So pop bottle tops, items in the trash, of course Little Smokies and some of those other food items we have at barbecues that we don't think about."
Carson said the goal of these classes is practice, repetition and going through the motions - so when it's time to act, the training kicks in.